Sports Physical Therapy
Athletic recovery for adults
Athletes are often anxious to return to their sport after an injury.
Excel Physical Therapy will work with you to achieve this goal and can get you back on the field as quickly as possible. That’s why we have been voted as Best of Winnebago County by the Oshkosh Northwestern for being the Best Physical Therapist or Sports Medicine Facility in the Oshkosh community, time and time again.
As we age, our bodies begin to respond differently to our athletic and fitness routines. Let’s be clear, this doesn’t mean your “too old,” it just means you need to begin taking care of your body in a different way. Often, the athletic injuries we see occur because of:
- Body breakdown and degenerative changes associated with aging
- A muscle weakness or lack of endurance
- Muscle imbalances
- Over use
- Muscle strain associated with beginning a new sport or fitness program
- Muscle tightness
Treating injuries early will improve functional capacity so that you can resume normal activities sooner. With proper treatment, you will be able to function without restriction or pain.
Athletic recovery for young athletes
Therapy programs from Excel Physical Therapy are designed differently for young athletes. Often, injuries occur because these young athletes are still growing—physical therapy must be modified accordingly. Excel Physical Therapy identifies issues that may be specific to young athletes and works to:
- Address additional problems that are specific to young athletes
- Design treatments that allow flexibility because young athletes are still growing
- Identify weaknesses in other areas
- Focus on body awareness since young athletes grow so quickly
When to get physical therapy
How will you know if you will benefit from physical therapy treatment? If some of the conditions listed below are present, therapy should be a consideration.
- Injury that is causing pain with repetitive motion
- Pain with running, throwing, jumping
- Pain when stationary/not moving
- Pain that occurred during or following sport participation, even if there is no obvious injury
- Abnormal functioning
- Decreased strengths and range of motion
During your session Excel Physical Therapy will work with you to explore injuries and identify the fastest way to get back to get back into the game. When you sign up for a session, you will be asked to complete a form that will help our therapists understand every aspect of your injury. Therapists then conduct a thorough evaluation of the injury and ask key questions on how it occurred and what actions make it worse.
Want to learn more? Check out our frequently asked questions about sports medicine physical therapy.
Excel Physical Therapy can provide a free consultation to help you determine if physical therapy is the next step to help you heal. If you have questions on treatments and whether or not your injury is a good candidate for physical therapy programs, please contact us by filling out the form below.